Sweet potato makes a creamy, thick sauce that adds tons of vitamin A. This is also a great way to use up leftover poultry!
Servings: Makes 1 large casserole or 8 1-cup servings
- 2 tablespoons trans fat-free soft tub margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups reduced sodium fat-free or low-fat chicken or turkey broth
- 2 1/2 cups cooked turkey or chicken , cubed
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1/2 cup non-fat skim milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ or flax meal
- 3 tablespoons trans fat-free soft tub margarine , melted
Preheat oven to 400°. Melt margarine in a medium-size saucepan. Add flour and cook over medium heat, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until a thick paste forms and the mixture become golden but not brown. Add chicken broth and heat until mixture just begins to boil. Reduce heat; add turkey, sweet potato puree. Pour into a 2-quart casserole dish or divide among 8 1-cup ramekins.
For topping, in a large bowl, combine all ingredients until a soft batter forms. If using individual ramekins, spread batter on top of each ramekin. Place ramekins onto a cookie sheet and bake until dough is golden brown, approximately 12 to 15 minutes.
For the casserole, spread batter to cover. Bake until dough is golden brown, approximately 15 minutes.
Printed from Oprah.com on May 23, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.