- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/4 onion , shredded, on the large holes of a hand grater or in a food processor
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion (scallion)
- 2 slices whole wheat bread , toasted and processed in a food processor for 1 minute to make crumbs
- 1/4 cup Better 'n Eggs or 1 egg , beaten
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp. ground mustard
- Black pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns (about 115 calories each)
- 1 Tbsp. mustard
- 8 leaves lettuce
- 8 thick slices tomato
- 4 slices red onion
Thoroughly mix the turkey, onion, green onion, bread crumbs, egg, garlic, mustard and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Form the mixture into 4 patties.
Heat a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat.
Lightly coat the pan with cooking spray and place the patties in the pan. Cook
until the pink just disappears in the center, about 4 minutes on each side, or until a
thermometer inserted into the center of the burger reads 160°.
Slice the buns. Spread each top with mustard. Place the lettuce, tomato, onion and a
burger on the bottom bun and cover with the top. Serve.
Recipes from The Best Life Diet Cookbook by Bob Greene, published by Simon & Schuster, © 2009. Used by permission.
Per serving, about: calories: 367; protein: 29 g; carbohydrate: 36 g; dietary fiber: 6 g; sugars: 3 g; total fat: 13 g; saturated fat: 3 g; cholesterol: 143 mg; calcium: 118 mg; sodium: 487 mg