- 1 orange , preferably sour orange, sliced into thick rounds
- 2 teaspoons crushed cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 5 cloves garlic , crushed under a knife
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 (3-pound) boneless pork butt roast
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth or canned low-sodium broth
- 3 Roma or plum tomatoes , seeded and chopped into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 cans (15 ounces) black beans , drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Position a rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat to 325°F. Transfer the meat and marinade to a plastic oven bag, cover tightly, and bake until the pork is fork tender, about 3 hours.
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin, oregano and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the black beans and cook until the flavors are combined, about 10 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
Transfer the pork to a serving platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Strain the cooking liquid into a bowl, pressing hard on the solids. Let stand for 5 minutes. Skim any fat from the surface. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour into a sauceboat. Slice the pork and serve with the sauce and black beans.