- 2 Tbsp. corn oil
- 3 corn tortillas , cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup onions , chopped
- 1 jalapeño , seeded and chopped
- 16 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 2 quarts roasted chicken stock (see recipe below)
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 avocado
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Bones from Roasted Chicken
- 6 peeled and halved carrots
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 2 large onions with skins, halved
- 2 Tbsp. kosher salt
To make the soup: Heat corn oil in a stockpot and sauté 3 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips.
In a food processor, chop the garlic, onions and seeded jalapeño.
Add the onion, garlic and jalapeño mixture to the pot and sauté for 10 minutes. Add the can of chopped tomatoes along with 2 quarts of chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add ground cumin and simmer for 10 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Strain into a clean pot. Garnish with chopped avocado and shredded cheese.