Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups shelled sunflower seeds
- 10 to 12 sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp. honey or agave nectar
- 1 tsp. tamari
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Place sunflower seeds in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for at least 4 hours if possible, overnight is best. Drain and rinse.
Pour boiling water over sundried tomatoes and soak for 20 minutes or so, until they have softened. Drain, reserving liquid. Roughly chop tomatoes and set aside.
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until desired consistency is reached. For a creamier texture, add tomato soaking liquid one tablespoon at a time (I use about 4 or 5 tablespoons of liquid in total).
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
More Gluten-Free Recipes