- 1 Tbsp olive oil for sauteeing
- 1 cup loosely packed spinach leaves
- 1 medium yellow onion or 3 scallions rinsed and patted dry, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 bell pepper (red, yellow, orange or green), finely diced
- 1⁄2 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- One package (16 ounces) extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 tsp salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper and saute for about 5 minutes, until the onion and peppers are tender and turning a little brown.
Meanwhile, using your hands, crumble the tofu into a bowl to create the consistency of coarse bread crumbs. Add to the saute pan and stir to combine. Add the spinach, turmeric, cumin, paprika, and nutritional yeast, and saute for about 5–8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the tofu is a bright yellow color (from the turmeric) and thoroughly heated.
Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with toast or tempeh bacon.
- Saute sliced cremini mushrooms along with the onions and peppers.
- For a Mexican scramble, add 1 cup of your favorite salsa after the tofu is cooked, and allow it to heat through. Make a Breakfast Burrito by wrapping the scramble in a tortilla and serving with tortilla chips, avocado, and nondairy, nonhydrogenated sour cream.
- For an Italian twist, add fresh herbs such as basil, oregano, rosemary, and/or parsley, and some finely chopped Kalamata olives.