Servings: Serves 4
- 1 1/2 bunches fresh basil (about 1 1/2 cups lightly packed)
- 4 ounces toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 pieces (6 ounces each) fresh tilapia
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
Preheat broiler. Grind the basil, pine nuts and grated Parmesan cheese with a mortar and pestle until a smooth paste forms. Slowly add 1/4 cup of olive oil, grinding until a smooth sauce forms. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, use a food processor instead.
Season the pesto to taste with salt and pepper. Season the tilapia with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and cook the fish for 1 to 2 minutes on the flesh side or until it turns light golden brown. Flip the fish over and spoon the pesto generously over the fish.
Transfer pan to the broiler and broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. Remove fish from broiler and allow to rest on a plate. Serve fish hot.