Try this delicious recipe!
Servings: Serves 8
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 6 cups) small elbow macaroni
- 1/2 pound (about 2 cups) cheddar cheese , grated
- 1/2 pound (about 2 cups) fontina cheese , grated
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (1 slice, toasted and crumbled)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta as directed; strain and place in a buttered 3-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle cheddar and fontina cheeses on top, reserving 1/2 cup of each. Stir lightly with a fork.
To make sauce: In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Slowly add milk and salt, whisking to prevent lumps. Add sauce to macaroni, reserving 1/2 cup. Mix egg with leftover sauce and pour over macaroni.
Sprinkle macaroni with remaining cheddar, fontina and paprika. Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan and olive oil in a small bowl and spread on top. Place casserole dish on a foil-lined baking sheet on oven's middle rack and bake 25 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.
768 calories, 38.0 grams fat, 21.1 grams saturated fat, 130 mg of cholesterol, 922 mg sodium, 75.4 grams carbohydrate, 30.1 grams protein
Printed from Oprah.com on May 25, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.