Servings: Makes 32 brochettes.
- 1 ripe mango , cut into chunks
- 1 ripe banana , cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons chili or ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup tequila (white or dark)
- 4 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 limes , halved
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns , crushed
- 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds , coarsely chopped
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
In a blender or food processor with knife blade attached, puree mango, banana, brown sugar, garlic, salt, chili powder and white pepper until smooth. Add lime juice and tequila and process until blended.
Cut chicken breasts crosswise on a slight diagonal into 3/4-inch-wide strips. Divide between 2 plastic refrigerator bags; add 1 cup marinade to each bag and seal. Turn bags to coat chicken evenly. Refrigerate 2 to 4 hours. While chicken marinates, cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
In a small saucepan, bring reserved marinade to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl.
Drain chicken in a colander. Thread onto presoaked bamboo skewers. Spray a grill pan with nonstick spray and heat until hot. Grill chicken skewers in batches, about 2 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Or broil skewers 4 minutes, turning once halfway through. Arrange on platters. Hit chicken with a squeeze of lime. Drizzle with cooked marinade; sprinkle with peppercorns and pumpkin seeds. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.