- 1 ripe mango , cut into chunks
- 1 ripe banana , cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons chili or ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup tequila (white or dark)
- 4 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 limes , halved
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns , crushed
- 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds , coarsely chopped
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
Cut chicken breasts crosswise on a slight diagonal into 3/4-inch-wide strips. Divide between 2 plastic refrigerator bags; add 1 cup marinade to each bag and seal. Turn bags to coat chicken evenly. Refrigerate 2 to 4 hours. While chicken marinates, cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
In a small saucepan, bring reserved marinade to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl.
Drain chicken in a colander. Thread onto presoaked bamboo skewers. Spray a grill pan with nonstick spray and heat until hot. Grill chicken skewers in batches, about 2 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Or broil skewers 4 minutes, turning once halfway through. Arrange on platters. Hit chicken with a squeeze of lime. Drizzle with cooked marinade; sprinkle with peppercorns and pumpkin seeds. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.