This recipe must be made 3 days in advance to allow tomatoes enough time to marinate.
Servings: Makes about 4 cups tomatoes
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes (about 2 standard pint baskets)
- 1 pound beefsteak tomatoes (about 2 large tomatoes)
- 1 large red onion , quartered
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 large lemons
- 1/2 cup white tequila
- 1/2 cup plain or citron- or pepper-flavored vodka
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce , or to taste
- Margarita dipping salt , for serving
With a wooden or metal skewer, puncture each cherry tomato with 5 to 10 holes; place in a nonreactive bowl.
By hand, or in a food processor with knife blade attached, finely chop beefsteak tomatoes; transfer to a medium bowl. Finely chop onion; add to beefsteak tomatoes. Stir in salt; let stand 5 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine sieve, pressing hard on the solids (should yield about 2 cups liquid). Discard solids.
Grate zest from 2 lemons. Squeeze enough juice from 3 lemons to equal 1/2 cup. Gently stir tomato water, lemon zest, lemon juice and remaining ingredients (except margarita salt) into cherry tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate, keeping tomatoes submerged in liquid, at least 3 days or up to 1 week.
To serve, spear each tomato with a toothpick or wooden skewer. Put some of the liquid in a glass bowl or vase; place tomatoes in the liquid. Serve margarita dipping salt on the side.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 11, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.