Servings: Makes about 4–6 servings
- 2 pounds mixed color heirloom tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 cup red onion , sliced thin
- 2 ounces red wine vinegar
- 2 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch arugula
- 1 bunch mixed mesclun greens
- 2 cups cubed sourdough bread
- Crab Cakes
- 4 ounces canola oil
- Wondra flour or all-purpose flour for dredging
- 1 cup cooked wax beans , cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon basil , julienned
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Mix tomatoes, garlic and onion and season with one teaspoon of salt. Let sit 15 minutes. Add liquids and let sit one hour.
Preheat oven to 300°F. Place bread cubes on a sheet tray and dry in oven. Take out and reserve.
Increase oven heat to 450°F. Mix some tomato liquid w/dried sourdough bread cubes and let absorb. Add in tomatoes, wax beans, julienned basil and chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place the arugula on bottom of a serving plate. Top with crab cakes, followed by panzanella, then pour liquid over the top for sauce.
Recommended ingredient: Wondra Flour is a slightly granular flour that is excellent for sauces and gravies. It is available in most grocery stores.