Servings: Serves 6
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium yellow onions , chopped
- 1 large yellow potato , peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. mild curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced plum tomatoes , with juice
- 1 cup dried and rinsed lentils (preferably red)
- 2 cans (15 ounces) chickpeas , well rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. salt
- Juice of lemon
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Place olive oil in large pot over medium heat; sauté celery, onions, and potatoes, along with curry powder, turmeric, and cinnamon, 5 to 8 minutes.
Add canned tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes.
Add 8 cups of water and the lentils, chickpeas, and salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour (check that there is enough liquid; add 1 extra cup of water if necessary).
Just before serving, add lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and cilantro, if using.