- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 9 ounces mixed full-flavored salad greens such as arugula, frisée, dandelion, and mustard
- 1 small red onion , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup crumbled Stilton cheese ' '
To make the dressing, in a 1-quart saucepan, heat apple juice and vinegar over medium heat until mixture boils. Place cherries in a small bowl. Pour hot juice mixture over cherries; allow cherries to marinate and soften, 30 minutes. Strain juice mixture from cherries into the same saucepan. Heat mixture to boiling; simmer 15 to 17 minutes over medium heat, or until juice mixture is reduced to 1/4 cup. Transfer juice mixture to a small bowl and blend with oil. Set aside to cool completely.
In a large bowl, combine greens, walnuts, red onion, Stilton, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and marinated cherries. Whisk dressing just before drizzling over salad. Toss salad gently and briefly to prevent cheese from clumping.