Servings: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder , cut into bite-size cubes
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots , peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium sweet potato , skinned and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium onion , coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , skinned and mashed
- 1/4 cup white raisins
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds
- Sprigs of fresh cilantro for garnish
- 1 cup couscous
To make lamb: Season meat with salt and pepper. In a nonstick skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil; add lamb and brown over medium heat.
Place heat diffuser over another burner. Place tagine on top of diffuser and set burner to medium heat.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine lamb, carrots, sweet potato, honey, allspice, cinnamon, salt, lemon juice, and chicken broth. Lightly toss to coat.
Add remaining 2 Tablespoons olive oil to tagine. When hot, add onion and garlic; cook until soft, about 6 minutes.
Add combined ingredients to tagine; cover and simmer approximately 40 minutes. Remove from heat; garnish with raisins, toasted almonds, and cilantro.
Meanwhile, to make couscous: In a small pot, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Add couscous and remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve alongside tagine.