Spectacular. Echoing the flavors of Chef Govind Armstrong's recommended Thanksgiving meal—this dessert outdoes itself!
Servings: Makes 10 servings
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter , melted
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 pound (2 medium) sweet potatoes , baked, peeled and kept warm
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pastry shell
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
To make topping:
In a small mixing bowl, combine egg, corn syrup, light brown sugar, margarine and maple flavoring; mix well. Stir in pecans and set aside.
To make pie:
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large mixing bowl, beat warm sweet potatoes with margarine until smooth. Add condensed milk, orange zest, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and eggs; mix well. Pour into pastry shell. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven; spoon topping evenly over pie. Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer, or until golden brown. Cool. Serve warm or chilled.
To make cinnamon cream:
In a medium-size bowl over ice, whisk heavy cream. Add cinnamon and sugar, and whisk to medium-stiff peaks. Serve alongside pie.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 8, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.