- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 parsnips
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup arame
- 1 Tbsp. tamari
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Salad greens , such as arugula (rocket) or watercress, to serve
- Toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. minced pickled ginger
- 1 tsp. wasabi paste
- 1 small shallot , finely minced
- 1 tsp. umeboshi plum vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. minced cilantro
- Big squeeze lime juice
Preheat oven to 375°. Peel the sweet potato and parsnips and cut into bite-size chunks. Steam the chunks for about 5 minutes, until they just start to soften up (you can do this in a steamer basket set over boiling water or by simmering in a small amount of water).
In the meantime, pour the olive oil onto a baking tray and let it heat up in the oven. Transfer the potato and parsnip to the warmed oven tray and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Toss to coat the vegetables evenly with the oil. Put on top shelf of oven and bake for about 20 minutes, until they're tender when pricked with a fork.
While the veggies are baking, you can prepare the arame and tartar sauce. Soak the arame in enough water to cover for about 10 minutes. Drain and simmer the arame in about 1/4 cup of the soaking water—drizzle with the tamari and mirin while cooking. After about 10 minutes, turn the heat up a bit to cook off any excess liquid and drizzle with the toasted sesame oil.
Mix together all the tartar sauce ingredients.
To serve, arrange the salad greens on plates or a serving platter, and top with a mound of the arame and sweet potato mixture. Top with a big dollop of the tartar sauce and sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on top.
- You can use other veggies such as sweet squash or pumpkin in place of the sweet potato. You could also add corn, zucchini or other vegetables of your choice.
- For a vegan dressing, omit the Greek yogurt and instead add some pureed soft tofu.
- If you don't like it too spicy, you can omit the wasabi. You could add other ingredients to the tartar sauce like minced capers, chives, parsley and minced dill pickle.