For an interesting twist to the tried-and-true potato salad, try this version made with sweet potatoes and pineapple. There's no better match for spareribs or baked ham. The yellow-fleshed "true" sweet potatoes aren't as flavorful as orange Louisiana or jewel yams.
Servings: Serves 8
- 4 orange-fleshed yams (sweet potatoes)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise , regular or reduced-fat
- 4 ribs celery , cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small red bell pepper , seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup diced (1/2-inch) ripe fresh pineapple
- 2 scallions , white and green parts, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) coarsely chopped pecans , toasted
- Chopped fresh chives , for garnish
Wrap the individual potatoes in foil. Bake in a pre-heated 400°F oven for 1 hour, until tender. Cool until easy to handle. Peel, then cut into 3/4-inch chunks.
In a large bowl, mix the mayonnaise and mustard. Add the yams, celery, red pepper, pineapple, and scallions and toss gently, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerated until chilled, about 1 hour. (The salad can be made 1 day ahead, covered, and refrigerated. Adjust the seasonings before serving.)
Just before serving, fold in the pecans and sprinkle with the chives. Serve chilled.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 6, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.