Serves 6 to 8
- 1 large sweet potato
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 Tbsp. white wine
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup arborio or risotto rice
- 3 cups Better Than Bouillon vegan chicken broth, made per the instructions on the package
- 1/2 tsp. Bragg's liquid aminos
- 1/2 tsp. crushed dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Dash of liquid smoke
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- Crushed pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground black peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp. shredded Daiya vegan mozzarella cheese or your favorite vegan cheese
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Bake your sweet potato for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender.
Spray your Dutch oven with olive oil cooking spray and add the white wine. Heat the wine to a boil over medium heat. Toss in your onion and garlic and cook until tender. Stir in the rice. Mash 1 cup of the sweet potato into a paste and add it to the Dutch oven. Mix with a wooden spoon until blended.
Stir in 1/2 cup of the broth. Continue to stir your rice and broth until it begins to bubble. Then stir in another 1/2 cup of the broth. Repeat this process until you have added all the broth. Continue to stir until your rice is tender. It should take 20 to 30 minutes.
Mix in the Bragg's, rosemary, nutmeg, onion powder, and parsley. Add liquid smoke, hot sauce, salt and pepper until you like the flavor, and then serve hot with a pinch of vegan cheese over the top.
From Betty Goes Vegan: 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family (Grand Central) by Annie and Dan Shannon.
More Potato Recipes