Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas Recipe
Green chili sauce:
- 1 cup light vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. arrowroot starch dissolved in a little cold water
- 1 generous cup chopped roasted green chilies (hot or mild)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin or chili powder, hot or mild, to taste
- 1 15-oz can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Fresh lime juice from 1 big lime
- 2 heaping cups cooked sweet potatoes, smashed a bit, but still chunky
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted green chilies
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder, or curry, mild or spicy, as you prefer
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 to 4 Tbsp. light olive oil or vegetable oil, as needed
- 8 white corn tortillas
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, or vegan cheese, if desired
Preheat oven to 350°. Choose a baking dish that would hold 8 enchiladas.
Make the green chili sauce: combine the broth, dissolved arrowroot, green chilies, garlic and spices in a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Bring to a high simmer. Simmer until thickened. Taste test. Set aside.
In the meantime, using a mixing bowl, combine the drained black beans with minced garlic and lime juice. Toss to coat the beans and set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine the lightly smashed sweet potatoes with the chopped green chilies; add the spices. Season with sea salt and pepper.
Pour about 1/4 cup of the chili sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.
Heat a dash of oil in a skillet. Lightly cook the corn tortillas to soften them, one at a time. Lay the first hot tortilla in the sauced baking dish; wet it with the sauce. Spoon 1/8 of the sweet potato mixture down the center. Top with 1/8 of the black beans. Wrap and roll the tortilla to the end of the baking dish. Repeat for the remaining tortillas. Top with the rest of the sauce.
If you like, top with a sprinkle of shredded Monterey Jack cheese or vegan cheese.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the enchiladas are piping hot and the sauce is bubbling around the edges.
More Gluten-Free Recipes