This pesto stands up well to chicken and stronger-flavored fish, like bluefish.
Servings: Makes 1 cup
- 1 small clove garlic peeled
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 4 oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil and more for storing
- 1 plum tomato (about 4 ounces), blanched, peeled and seeded
- 1 Tbsp. grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Place garlic and salt in a mortar. Add about 1/2 of the pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, oregano, and olive oil. Using a pestle, crush against bottom and sides of mortar until a coarse paste forms.
Add remaining ingredients except cheese, crushing as directed. Stir in cheese. Transfer to an airtight container, cover with a layer of extra-virgin olive oil, and refrigerate up to 5 days.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 13, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.