Servings: Makes 8–10 servings
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter , chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup fromage blanc or mix 3/4 cup cream cheese and 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 strawberries , thinly sliced
- 2 peaches , thinly sliced
- Caramel sticks or candied flowers (optional garnish)
Combine flour, almonds, sugar and salt in a food processor. Pulse until nuts are finely ground. Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Slowly add 2 tablespoons of cold water, pulsing several times to form a moist ball. Remove dough and knead briefly. Divide into 8 equal pieces, flatten each into a disc and cover in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, until firm.
Preheat oven to 350°F. On a lightly floured surface, roll each disc into a 3 1/2-inch circle and place in 2 1/2-inch tart shells. Glide a rolling pin over shells to trim edges. Pierce holes in dough with fork tines. Freeze 15 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake 10 minutes. If dough is bubbling, re-pierce with fork. Continue baking 5 to 7 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven; cool completely. Fill each shell with fromage blanc. Fan out 1 strawberry and a few slices of peach. Garnish, if desired.