- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 whole star anise (available at Asian markets) or 1/4 tsp. five-spice powder
- 2 cloves thinly sliced garlic
- 1 piece ginger (about 2 inches), peeled and julienned
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin , trimmed and cut into 2-inch-long, 1-inch-thick pieces
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 baby bok choy , trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 3/4 pound Chinese lo mein noodles or spaghetti , freshly cooked and drained
Increase heat to medium-high and heat remaining oil in wok. Add pork and stir-fry until golden brown all over, 4 to 5 minutes. Return garlic mixture to wok; add soy sauce and toss well. Transfer contents of wok to a large bowl; cover and keep warm.
Return wok to heat. Add bok choy and 1/4 cup water, then immediately cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, gently tossing halfway through, until bright green and just tender, about 5 minutes.
Divide warm noodles among bowls; top with stir-fried pork and bok choy. Serve immediately.
Extra idea: Combine the same spices to make a marinade for grilled pork chops or tenderloin.