Servings: Serves 4
- 1 pineapple , peeled, cored and diced
- 1 bunch radishes , cut into thin rounds
- 1 cucumber , cut into thin rounds
- 1 bunch cilantro , stemmed and chopped, a few sprigs reserved for garnish
- 5 sprigs mint , leaves removed and chopped, a few leaves reserved for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Sprite
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 jalapeno chilis
- 1 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 pound hanger, skirt or flap steak
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Pinch red pepper flakes
Combine the pineapple, radishes, and cucumber in a large bowl. Toss with the chopped cilantro and mint leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
For lime dressing, combine the Sprite, fish sauce, lime juice, and chilis in a large saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to 1/2 cup, about 15 minutes, then add the vinegar.
Season the steak with olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Grill or broil steak to the desired degree of doneness, 3–4 minutes per side for medium rare. When cool, cut into thin strips, slicing against the grain of the meat.
Toss together the salad and three quarters of the dressing. Arrange the salad on four plates, topping each with one quarter of the sliced steak. Drizzle each plate with dressing and garnish with cilantro and mint.
Recipe from Top Chef: The Quickfire Cookbook © 2008 By Bravo Media, Chronicle Books.