Spicy Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion , such as Vidalia, chopped
- 3 ribs celery , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon Madras-style curry powder
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash , pared with a sharp knife
- 2 green plantains , peeled and cut up
- 6 cups chicken broth or canned low-sodium broth , as needed
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 sprigs fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds , for garnish
- Chopped fresh chives , for garnish
Add the curry powder and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the squash and plantain, then the broth, oregano and sage. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, until the squash is very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.
In batches, pulse the soup in a blender or food processor to make a chunky puree. Return to the pot and season to taste with the hot sauce and salt and pepper. Reheat until piping hot.
Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with the pumpkin seeds and chives.