Servings: Makes 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons rice wine
- 3 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound snow peas , trimmed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 medium red onions , julienned
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon ' ' sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely shredded fresh basil leaves
To make marinade: In a medium bowl, combine rice wine, 2 Tablespoons soy sauce, and ginger. Rinse shrimp and pat dry. With a sharp knife, score shrimp along the back to butterfly, then rinse and drain thoroughly. Add shrimp to the bowl and toss gently with marinade to coat. Refrigerate 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring 1 1/2 quarts water to a boil. Add snow peas and cook until crisp-tender, about 1 1/2 minutes. Drain in a colander and refresh under cold water. Drain again.
To make seasoning: In a medium bowl, combine red pepper flakes, garlic, and red onions.
To make sauce: In a medium bowl, combine fish sauce, remaining 1 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce, sugar, and 1 1/2 Tablespoons water.
Heat a wok or a heavy skillet over high heat. Add 1 Tablespoons olive oil and heat until near smoking; swirl oil to coat the pan. Add shrimp and stir-fry until they change color and are just cooked, about 2 1/2 minutes. Drain shrimp; wipe out pan.
Add the remaining 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil to pan and heat until very hot, about 30 seconds. Add seasoning mixture and stir-fry until onions are tender, about 3 minutes. Stir sauce and add to pan; bring to a boil. Stir in shrimp and basil. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with steamed rice, if desired.