Spicy Seafood Stew Over Linguine
Created by Art Smith
September 16, 2002
Pasta won't seem so simple when it's topped with seafood and flavored with hot spices!
Servings: Serves 2–4
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed and roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup red wine (semi dry; cabernet is recommended)
- 1 cup diced fresh Roma tomatoes
- 1 tilapia fillet
- 6 baby neck clams
- 6 mussels
- 4 prawns
- 1/4 pound fresh squid into 1/4–1/2 inch rings
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano , roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes (re-hydrated in water and drained)
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped (if not available use regular parsley)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound linguine
Fill stockpot with water and salt, and bring to a rolling boil.
Heat oil over medium heat in large sauté pan or a 5-quart stock pot. Sauté onions till translucent. Add garlic, green pepper, chili flakes and cayenne pepper. Stir over medium heat for 2 minutes, deglaze with red wine. Reduce by 1/4 and add fresh tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, re-hydrated sun dried tomatoes and water. Reduce heat and simmer.
Slice tilapia fillet in 2-inch strips. Add mussels, clams, prawns, squid and tilapia. Cover and simmer 5–7 minutes or until all the clams and mussels are open, and the tilapia and shrimp are opaque. Cook and drain linguine (or your favorite pasta will work). Place into a serving bowl.
Ladle spicy tomato broth onto linguine. With tongs grab all the shellfish and mollusks and place on top of sauce and pasta. Sprinkle fresh herbs on top and serve.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 13, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.