This recipe is part of our meal celebrating winter's tastiest fruit .
- 1 bottle (750 ml) dry red wine , such as Pinot Noir or Tempranillo
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick , halved
- 1 Tbsp. cloves
- 1 Tbsp. crushed cardamom pods
- 8 medium oranges , chilled
- 1/2 cup sliced orange peel , preferably organic
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream (optional)
Remove peel and pith from oranges, working over a bowl to catch juice. Cut in half or slice into rounds. Put oranges in bowl with reserved juice.
Simmer orange peel in 1 cup water for 2 minutes. Drain; dry with paper towels.
Divide oranges and juice among 8 bowls. Add a scoop of ice cream (if using) to each and pour syrup on top; sprinkle with orange peel.