Servings: Serves 4 as a first course
- 1/2 pound spaghetti (or any other type of pasta)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound small shrimp , peeled and deveined (tails left on, if desired)
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, then drain spaghetti well.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring often, until pink all over, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; cook until shrimp is just cooked through and garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add parsley, mint, butter, and lemon zest; stir until combined.
Add spaghetti and reserved 1/2 cup pasta water to skillet; season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing constantly, until liquid thickens to form a sauce and spaghetti is hot throughout, about 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer pasta and shrimp to 4 shallow bowls and serve immediately.
Extra idea: The flavorings in this recipe could also become a salsa verde to serve alongside grilled shrimp.