Try this delicious recipe!
- 10 cloves freshly chopped garlic —more is always better
- 2 or 3 chopped yellow onions
- 1 large green pepper diced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground meat
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1 can (10 ounces) whole tomatoes , drained (save juice for later)
- 2 cans Joan of Arc hot chili beans
- 1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
- 2 heaping tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro , chopped
- 3 to 5 chopped fresh jalepeno peppers , adjust to your taste or habanaro peppers for substitution, if you want it really hot
Brown meat—do not kill it—it keeps cooking in the chili. Drain grease, reserving 1 or 2 tablespoons for sweating the onions. Sweat onions in the reserved grease. When onions are opaque, add meat, chili beans and tomatoes, crushing them by hand in the pot (do not use crushed tomatoes, whole are much better). Add chili powder, cumin, sugar and peppers.
Cook slowly over low heat for 2 hours. Add the reserved tomato juice as needed. Just before serving, add chopped cilantro. You can serve with grated cheddar cheese. Chili is always better after a night in the fridge.
Printed from Oprah.com on June 20, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.