- 3 Golden Delicious apples , peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups dried sour cherries
- 1 teaspoon orange zest plus additional, for garnish
- 2 large naval oranges , peeled with a knife, cut into segments, and each segment halved
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 stick (3 inches) cinnamon
- 1/4 cup toasted pecan pieces, optional *
Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes, or until juices are thickened slightly. Transfer to serving bowl and let cool to room temperature. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors. (Compote can be prepared up to 1 week ahead.)
Just before serving, discard cinnamon stick, stir in remaining orange, and sprinkle with orange zest and pecans. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
* To toast the pecans, spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350° oven, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes, or until fragrant and lightly toasted. Cool completely before using.
Adapted from Back to the Table by Art Smith