- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (4-pound) chicken , cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ' ' fresh turkey sausages , casing removed (8 ounces)
- 1 medium ' ' onion , finely chopped
- 1 rib celery , finely chopped
- 1 small ' ' green bell pepper , seeded and chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 medium ' ' tomato , seeded and chopped
- Chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
- Cooked white rice , for serving
Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat in the skillet. Add the turkey sausage and cook, breaking it up with the side of a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to the plate with the chicken.
Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat in the skillet. Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper to the skillet. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are browned, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle with the reserved flour, mix well, and cook until the flour is browned, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the broth, and return the chicken and sausage to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken shows no sign of pink when pierced in the thickest part, about 40 minutes. During the last 5 minutes, sprinkle the tomato on top.
Transfer the chicken to a deep platter. Skim the fat off the surface of the sauce and season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the chicken and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve the chicken hot, with the rice.