- 1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion , coarsely chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped garlic (about 12 small cloves)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 2 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds skinless halibut steaks or 1 (2-pound) halibut fillet , cut into 6 pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper , cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
Stir in rice and paprika; cook 30 seconds. Add wine, 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is almost tender, about 35 minutes.
Meanwhile, season fish with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add fish and cook until golden on one side, about 4 minutes; turn fish and remove from heat.
Stir peas and corn into rice; cook, covered, about 5 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 cup broth to rice mixture. Arrange fish, browned side up, on top of rice; scatter with peppers. Cover and cook until fish is opaque in center and flakes with a fork, 7 to 9 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley before serving.