Servings: Makes about 2 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions , including green tops
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 cans (15 ounces) black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 2 tsp. canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 small jalapeno chili , seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 1/2 cup and 1 Tbsp. minced cilantro
Total time: 25 minutes
In a medium sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, coriander, and cumin. Sauté, stirring frequently, until onions are softened, about 2 minutes. Add beans and 1/3 cup water. Simmer until water evaporates, 5 to 7 minutes. Cool 5 minutes.
In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process bean mixture until coarsely mashed. Add lime juice, chipotle chilies, and salt. Process until smooth. Add sour cream, jalapeño, and 1/2 cup cilantro. Pulse just until cilantro is incorporated. Adjust seasoning, then transfer to a bowl. Garnish with remaining cilantro and serve immediately.
Per 2 Tbsp. serving: 57 calories, 2 grams fat, 3 grams protein, 2 grams fiber
This can also top nachos or fill quesadillas. It can be prepared up to two days in advance.
Try 3 other low-cal twists on classic holiday dips from Diane Morgan