Makes about 18 pieces
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped dill
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
- 6 thin slices pumpernickel bread (15 ounces)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 12 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon, torn into bite-size pieces
- Finely grated lemon zest
Active time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
To make relish: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and refrigerate, covered, until ready to use (up to 2 hours in advance).
To make tartines: Preheat oven to 350°. Arrange pumpernickel slices on a baking sheet. Toast lightly, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese with crème fraîche and chives. Spread mixture on toasts. Cut each pumpernickel slice into thirds if slice is from wider section of loaf, or in half if from ends of loaf. Top with smoked salmon and garnish with a spoonful of relish and lemon zest just before serving.
More Recipes from Curtis Stone