- 1 1/2 cups shredded smoked mozzarella
- 1 1/2 cups fresh whole milk ricotta
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme leaves
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil , for frying
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Scoop a 1 1/2 tablespoon ball of the cheese mixture into the flour and roll to coat. Transfer the ball to the eggs and roll to coat. Transfer the cheese ball to the panko and again roll to coat. Transfer the ball to the parchment-lined tray. Continue with the remaining cheese mixture.
Meanwhile heat 3 inches of vegetable oil in a large skillet to 350°. Fry fritters in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan, until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with thyme. Serve warm with Balsamic Dipping Sauce.
For the balsamic dipping sauce: Combine the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard and honey in a blender. Blend until combined. Add the oil in a steady stream while the machine is running. Season with the salt and pepper.
Serve in a small bowl alongside the fritters. Makes 4 to 6 side dish servings.