Sick of the same old yams? Sweet potatoes and apples add a colorful, crunchy twist to your holiday table!
Servings: Serves 15–20
- 8 pounds (about 12 large) sweet potatoes
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter , melted
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
- 6 McIntosh or Macoun apples , peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
Preheat oven to 375°. Scrub potatoes, then prick several times with a knife or fork. Bake 1 hour, or until very soft when pierced with a knife. Combine orange juice, cream, butter, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
Remove potatoes from oven. Once cooled, scoop out the insides with a spoon. Place 1/2 of sweet potato meat into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add 1/2 of juice-and-cream mixture, blend until combined but not smooth, and pour into a large baking dish. Repeat with remaining potatoes and juice-and-cream mixture, and add to baking dish.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add apple wedges and brown sugar; cook about 10 minutes, turning apples occasionally, until lightly browned on both sides. Place on top of sweet potatoes and bake 30 minutes, until heated through. (Note: If refrigerating before baking, cook 45 minutes, or until heated through.)
Printed from Oprah.com on December 9, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.