This familiar dish can be a smart choice with a few small changes that cut calories but not any of the flavor or satisfaction.
Servings: Serves 4
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 large sweet pepper , seeded and finely chopped
- 12 ounces 95 percent lean ground beef
- 1 1/4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes , or canned no-salt-added tomatoes
- 1 cup canned, no-salt-added kidney beans , drained and rinsed, or cooked, mashed with the back of a fork
- 4 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 whole wheat hamburger rolls (about 170 calories each)
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Add the onion and
sweet pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring.
Crumble in the ground beef and cook until browned; keep breaking it apart with a spoon for about 4 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, cider vinegar, cloves, cinnamon, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 4 minutes.
Divide the mixture evenly between the four rolls and serve.
Recipes from The Best Life Diet Cookbook by Bob Greene, published by Simon & Schuster, © 2009. Used by permission.
Per serving, about: calories: 415; protein: 34 g; carbohydrate: 60 g; dietary fiber: 14 g; sugars: 5 g; total fat: 6 g; saturated fat: 2 g; cholesterol: 52 mg; calcium: 72 mg; sodium: 451 mg
Printed from Oprah.com on December 10, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.