- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 large sweet pepper , seeded and finely chopped
- 12 ounces 95 percent lean ground beef
- 1 1/4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes , or canned no-salt-added tomatoes
- 1 cup canned, no-salt-added kidney beans , drained and rinsed, or cooked, mashed with the back of a fork
- 4 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 whole wheat hamburger rolls (about 170 calories each)
sweet pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring.
Crumble in the ground beef and cook until browned; keep breaking it apart with a spoon for about 4 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, cider vinegar, cloves, cinnamon, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 4 minutes.
Divide the mixture evenly between the four rolls and serve.
Recipes from The Best Life Diet Cookbook by Bob Greene, published by Simon & Schuster, © 2009. Used by permission.