- 2 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 carrot, sliced on the bias
- 8 large raw shrimp, deveined, tails removed, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 white onion, half sliced into thin rounds, half diced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a cast-iron or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions and allow to brown slightly. Turn onions over and add carrots and bell peppers. Cook for 4–5 minutes or until carrots soften slightly. Add shrimp and cook slightly until just pink and firm. Season well with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
Heat remaining olive oil in a large frying pan over high heat. While oil heats, assemble quesadillas by laying a tortilla on a clean, flat surface. Sprinkle with half of the cheese, half of the spinach, and half of the vegetable-shrimp mixture. Fold in half. Repeat with remaining tortilla and fillings. Fry the quesadillas one or two at a time, depending on the size of your pan, for 2–3 minutes on each side or until golden-brown and crisp.
To serve, cut the quesadillas into wedges.
The BrokeAss Gourmet Cookbook (Egg & Dart), by Gabi Moskowitz.