- 1 pound or 36 medium thawed, frozen, peeled and deveined shrimp , tail shells removed and halved lengthwise
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes , diced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup thawed frozen white corn
- 1 cup thawed and shelled frozen edamame (soybeans) or thawed frozen petit peas
- 4 ounces or 1 cup queso fresco (Mexican cheese) or crumbled mild feta
- 1/2 small head romaine , trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
- 10 (5-inch) tostadas (crisp corn tortillas)
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Prepare the salad ingredients: Halve and pit the avocado, cut into 1/2-inch dice and transfer to a medium serving bowl. Add the lime juice and tomatoes and toss to mix. Add the shrimp, corn, edamame, queso fresco and romaine in layers; do not toss.
To make vinaigrette: Whisk together the vinegar, mint, lime juice, salt, sugar and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil. Drizzle the dressing on top of the lettuce, toss all of the ingredients well and season to taste.
To serve: Spread each tostada with about a tablespoon of sour cream, top with the shrimp mixture and serve with napkins to be eaten out of hand.
Note: If you can't find crisp tostadas, you can use taco shells or, to bake your own tostadas, use 10 5-inch fresh corn tortillas. Preheat the oven to 450°. Arrange 5 tortillas on a large baking sheet. Brush the tortillas lightly with corn oil, turn and brush the other side. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until crisp and a shade darker; transfer the tortillas to a rack to cool; repeat with the remaining tortillas.