Servings: Makes 8 Servings
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt or sea salt , plus more for blanching
- 1 1/2 pounds Lacinato or green kale
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) pancetta , finely diced
- 1/4 tsp. dried red chili pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Percorino Romano cheese
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, wash kale thoroughly. Remove spines with a sharp knife and discard. Slice leaves crosswise into ¼-inch strips. Fill a large bowl or stockpot with ice water and set aside.
2. Add kale to boiling water and cook 10 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer kale to ice water. Once cool (after 10 to 20 seconds), transfer kale to colander to drain.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook until golden, 2 minutes. Stir in chili flakes and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add kale all at once and toss to combine. Stir in ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through and kale is tender-crisp. Transfer to a serving platter and top with cheese.