- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu , pressed
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 cup light olive oil or 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil and 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices whole grain bread , lightly toasted
- 4 to 5 medium-size ripe tomatoes , preferably organic, cored and sliced
- 16 slices English cucumber
- 1/2 cup pickled red onions (or substitute raw red onions)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped assorted fresh herbs , such as basil, oregano, parsley and chives
With the food processor running, slowly drizzle the oil through the feed tube into the tofu mixture, blending until it is the consistency of mayonnaise, 2 to 3 minutes. If necessary, thin the tofu with water 1 teaspoon at a time. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pulse to mix. Set aside until ready to use or transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for up to 10 days.
Spread about 1 tablespoon of tofu spread on each slice of toast. Top with the tomato and cucumber slices and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Top each open-faced sandwich with pickled onions (or raw onions) and a generous sprinkling of fresh herbs.