Turning the tables on his coauthor, Andrew Friedman drizzles olive oil on Alfred Portale's shaved fennel salad with green apples and Pecorino Romano.
Servings: Makes 6 servings
- 2 medium fennel bulbs
- 2 Granny Smith apples , halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly shaved Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil , plus additional for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Remove fennel tops and reserve green, feathery fronds. Trim root ends; halve, core and thinly slice fennel bulbs, using a mandoline or very sharp knife. Chop 1 tablespoon fronds and set aside for garnish.
In a large bowl, combine sliced fennel bulbs, apples, cheese, olive oil, parsley, lemon zest, salt and pepper; toss gently.
To serve, arrange salad on a large, chilled serving plate. Drizzle with additional olive oil to taste, and sprinkle with reserved fennel fronds.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 11, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.