Servings: Makes 4–6 servings
- 3 slices (about 1/2-inch thick each) from loaf of crusty bread
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 large fennel bulb with tough outer leaves trimmed
- 1 medium ruby red or pink grapefruit peel and pith removed, cut into segments
- 4 cups baby arugula
To make croutons: Preheat oven to 375°. Trim crust off bread, and cut slices into 1/2-inch cubes. In a medium bowl, combine bread cubes, 3 tablespoons avocado oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Toss well and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 4 minutes, then turn cubes over with a spatula and continue baking until golden brown (4 to 7 minutes longer). Remove from oven and allow to cool.
To make vinaigrette: Put lemon juice in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in remaining avocado oil until blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To make salad: Using a mandoline or a vegetable peeler, shave fennel into very thin slices. In a large bowl, combine fennel, grapefruit, arugula, croutons, and vinaigrette. Toss gently and season with salt and pepper if desired.