Sesame Orange Granola
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Grated zest of 2 large oranges
- 4 cups old-fashioned (rolled) oats
- 1 cup (4 ounces) sliced almonds
- 1 cup (4 ounces) coarsely chopped unsalted cashews
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup chopped dried fruit , such as dates, apples, or apricots, or a combination
Spread the coconut on a baking sheet. Bake on the center rack, stirring often, until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
Bring the oil, maple syrup, and orange zest to a boil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Place the oats, almonds, cashews, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sesame seeds in the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer and mix on low speed with the paddle attachment until well-combined, about 1 minute (or mix well with your hands in a large bowl). Add the syrup mixture and mix (or toss with 2 large spoons) until well coated. Spread in 1/2-inch layers on 2 large baking sheets.
Bake, stirring often, switching the positions of the baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking, until the granola is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool. Stir into the bowl of coconut along with the dried fruit. (The granola can be stored at room temperature in airtight containers for up to 1 month.)
From Back to the Table by Art Smith