Seriously Basic Roasted Chicken and Root Vegetables Recipe
- 1 whole chicken (4 pounds)
- 1 Tbsp. and 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp. crushed black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 pound carrots , cut into 3-inch sticks
- 1 pound parsnips , cut into 3-inch sticks
- 1 pound small red potatoes , halved
Rinse and pat dry the chicken and season with the remaining salt and pepper, then rub with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Pierce the lemons several times with the tip of a paring knife and stuff, along with 2 sprigs of the rosemary, into the cavity of the chicken. Using cooking twine, tie the legs together.
Nestle the chicken among the vegetables and put in the oven—with the chicken's legs toward the back of the oven. Roast, stirring the vegetables once, until the chicken is cooked through (the internal temperature reaches 165° in the thickest part of the thigh), 55 to 60 minutes.
Carve and serve with the roasted vegetables.