Mix together the ingredients for the lime marinade and smear over the salmon fillets. Set aside for at least 30 minutes so the salmon absorbs the flavor of the marinade.
While the fish is marinating, prepare the salsa.
Char the outside skin of the peppers and chili. You can do this by holding them with tongs over an open flame, turning them so the outside chars evenly. Put the peppers and chili in a paper bag so they sweat—this makes it easier to remove the skin. After about 5 minutes, remove the peppers and chili from the bag, and the charred skin should slide off easily. (I like to have a little bowl of water on hand as I do this so I can rinse my fingers.)
Cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds and chop finely. If you don't want the salsa to be too hot, remove the seeds from the chili before chopping.
Place the peppers and chili in a bowl with the tomato and garlic. Add the lime juice, sea salt, honey and cilantro and mix well.
Preheat the oven to 400°.
Lay enough lime slices on an oven tray so that the fish can sit comfortably on top. Place the fish on the lime slices and place the tray on the top shelf of the oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked through—the time will depend on the thickness of the fillets.
Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving platter, keeping the lime slices underneath. Serve immediately with the rainbow salsa.
- For the glaze, you can use lemon juice and zest in place of the lime, or, for an interesting variation, try orange juice and zest.
- If you can't find white miso, you could use a dark miso like barley miso, or you could use 1 teaspoon of mustard for a nice alternative.
- In place of mirin, you could use honey, maple syrup or rice syrup to add sweetness to the marinade.
- Instead of baking the fish, you could grill (broil) it, keeping it about 6 inches away from the heat source so it doesn't cook too quickly. Keep an eye on it and, if the top starts to char, cover loosely with foil until the fish is cooked through.
- If you want to use this recipe to create a vegan dish, you could use slices of firm tofu. Drain the water from the tofu and smear with the marinade, then bake for about 10 to 15 minutes.