Servings: Makes 40 scallops
- 4 cups fresh-squeezed clementine juice or orange juice
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter , cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 40 large sea scallops , patted dry
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring clementine juice, chile powder, and lime zest and juice to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour; mixture should be thickened and syrupy.
Remove from heat and whisk in butter, one piece at a time, until incorporated.
In a large skillet over a high flame, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil until smoking. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Cook 10 scallops 1 to 2 minutes per side, until dark golden brown. Remove to paper towels and drain. Repeat with remaining oil and scallops in 3 batches. Serve scallops hot with warm sauce.