Everyone loves potatoes, and this dish will continue to spread the love!
Servings: Makes 8 servings
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes , peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth , heated to boiling
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and toasted, about 3 minutes. Cool.
In blender, combine pine nuts, basil, Parmesan, garlic, salt, and pepper. With machine running, add the oil through the top in a thin, steady stream until mixture is smooth. Transfer pesto to large bowl.
Bring a large pot of water with salt to boil. Add potatoes; cover and return water to boil. Uncover and cook until the potatoes are barely tender, about 4 minutes. Drain in colander.
Toss potatoes with pesto. Layer half the potatoes in baking dish; sprinkle evenly with half the cheddar and basil. Repeat with remaining potatoes, cheddar, and basil. Pour hot broth evenly over top. Cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.
Uncover and bake until the cheese is bubbling and starting to brown, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle top with parsley.
Printed from Oprah.com on June 19, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.